Scenery and painting update
So I’ve not been totally quiet on this front. I took delivery of a bulk load of mdf movement trays as well as some themed Dwarven (/Celtic) trays. The mdf trays were glued together but apart from that, will sadly have to remain as is, due to time constraints. The 3 themed trays were given a quick base and dry brush. Though they haven’t been photoed, I did take one of the accompanying (and matching) turn counter that I quickly painted to match.
I also managed to finish off the last of the plastic kits I had unpainted, the watchtower. This was definitely less enjoyable to paint than the other recent buildings and some shortcuts were taken!
When digging out all the dwarves for a group shot, I realised that the original 20 Ironbreakers painted years ago, were painted with much less detail than the more recent 10 reinforcements, what detail had been done was in gold rather than the silver I favoured on the army and didn’t have any static grass on them. So I found myself doing something I’ve never done before – going back to a previously painted model and reworking them! Shocking behaviour. Now admittedly I followed my normal short cut behaviour and with regards to the silver trim, this was just painted straight over the top of the original gold areas (where applicable). I’m much happier with the unit now but it’s opened a dangerous door as I now what to revisit, at a minimum, the Irondrakes and give them the same treatment.
So as I write, there are only 4 things really left to complete by the 17th:
- Finish building and painting Thorgrim Grudgebreaker (High King of the Dwarves)
- Repaint (eeek there’s that word again – I told you, a slippery slope!)/touch up Orion (for the Wood Elves
- Finish rebasing one card building and build/base a second.
- Dig out the wood elves to double check nothing else needs to be done.
Things are looking on track!
And to finish, a gratuitous shot of the dwarf side of the demo game (excluding the unbuilt high king).