Hobby Update – Marines and Wood Elves

The painting side of my hobby has definitely fallen by the wayside a bit over the last few months so I’m going to have to attempt to pick that up.

The logical place to start was with a model that has been sitting, part painted, since the summer. This was for a combination of reasons, I had wanted a slightly different paint scheme for this model from both the other wood elves and especially the wardancers but hadn’t been happy with the initial palette chosen. The colour I wasn’t sure on was actually the green, which is the underlying theme of the army. Nevertheless, the yellow ensures she stands out from the other models so I’m reasonably happy with her.

The other reason the Shadowdancer had hung around for so long was I had moved her to one of my bookcase shelves and kept forgetting to pull her down. Age must finally be catching up with me…

The other thing I’ve worked on this month is the biggest of my new toys, the Redemptor Dreadnought. As with most painting projects, as soon as you take photos you notice bits you need to revisit, in this case the sarcophagus detail needs a lot more work but as it is hidden most of the time I’m happy to field it as is on that front.

I’ve deliberately avoided any company or other markings, only adding the Chapter symbol on the shoulder, as this follows the ethos of the Shadow Sentinels and the misleading secretive nature so friends and enemies are unable to tell their true strength. This does however leave large chunks of empty green plate armour. I will leave this a bit before making a decision to edge highlight as I kind of like the stark nature of it.

The base was also quite deliberately done as green and fertile. I thought it was something different to the normal mud/snow strewn land inhabited by the other club players and added some positive energy (as much as is possible with a hulking weapon clad behemoth towering over it) in the form of bright vibrant plant life. I do have some tufts and other plant bits on route to add to it, to make it more interesting and I did think about adding a couple of brown mud dreadnought sized footprints behind it but I might have to use that as an excuse to buy another dread’ so I can use the foot to imprint some green stuff or a textured paint.

One bit I will be revisiting is the heavy onslaught Gatling Cannon. The front half is just way too pristine compared to the rear.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s